RaspbmcCrystalbuntu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blank Screen after accessing specific folder
12-26-2012, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2012 05:30 PM by shadrock.)
Blank Screen after accessing specific folder
So I have my ATV1 set up properly, and it's working great, except when I go into one folder where I have movies and the screen goes blank. I can go into any other folder with any other content (other movies, tv shows, music, etc) and it works just fine. However, when I access a specific folder, the screen blinks, then I get the grey screen with the black "X" in the center (just like on boot up), then the screen goes black and my tv acts like it is not receiving a signal. I have to unplug the device and plug it back in to get the screen back. Once I do, I can navigate to any content folders and stay there for as long as I want, but as soon as I access that specific folder again, the same thing happens. I thought it may have been a corrupt movie, so I removed any recent movies and it still did it. I also thought it may be due to how many movies were listed, so I added folders into that folder to organize, but that didnt help. Are there size limitations for the folders? I'd love to get a log of some sort, but I'm basically linux illiterate, so any steps to access and copy a log of some sort would be appreciated too. HELP!

Ok, so after i removed some movies from the folder, it seems to be working again. I moved a bunch of movies back and forth into the folder and I figured out it was a specific movie in that folder that was crashing it. Once I added all the rest of the movies back onto that folder (except the one I suspected was bad) I can navigate that folder with no issues. However, I can use my RaspBMC on that folder with the bad file and it works just fine. Has anyone else had this happen? Why would the file corrupt the XMBC session and kill the hdmi signal? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2012, 06:01 PM
RE: Blank Screen after accessing specific folder
I've seen that happen on occasion and as you found out, it's usually one file in particular that's not encoded well. Without much information (like a debug log), my guess is the internal ffmpeg which does the stream interrogation and produces the automatic thumbnail is crashing and bringing Xbmc and X11 with it. (If you place a manual thumbnail next to the file, you may be able to work around the navigation issue. But playing the file might crash Xbmc.) Crystalbuntu is old. Both the base Linux OS and the version of Xbmc is old. Given it works with Raspbmc, it'll likely work fine with CB2. If you want to share the file send me a PM. I can give it a try with Frodo built for CB.

Debug log instructions:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply