RaspbmcCrystalbuntu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ATV New Hard Drive re-image
12-20-2012, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2012 10:18 PM by airman82.)
ATV New Hard Drive re-image
So, after staying up till about 2am last night and spending a few hours this morning, I have almost given up installing a new hard drive in my ATV1.

Yesterday afternoon, my ATV HD took a crap and I lost everything. Not a big deal I figured since I had another IDE HD laying around, which turned out to be a 160gb from another ATV. I spent the rest of the night trying to get the partitions set up correctly so I could get into the Apple Restore menu. All I ever got was the blinking question mark. Here is what I've done so far that hasn't worked:

1. Copied the disk image from smallatv.img onto the new HD using DD.
2. Copied the disk image from Sam's Frontrow.img onto a flash drive and tried to set up the HD.
3. Manually set up the partitions and files using the AwkwardTV instructions.
4. Zeroed out the hard drive and tried to install via the Crystalbuntu installer.
5. Created a USB-Boot Crystalbuntu with the IDE HD installed to see if it would mount.
6. Tried to restore the HD using openELEC Swiss Army Knife USB.

Below is what i normally get when i set up the IDE HD and the errors I get when I try to boot off of the installer.img USB.

I am hoping that the IDE controller isn't shot on the ATV. I feel it spin up when I boot up, but the ATV treats it like there is no EFI to load from. I have ordered a 16gb DOM off of eBay, but that will take weeks to get here from China.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2012, 02:28 AM
RE: ATV New Hard Drive re-image
The controller may be hosed. We can try from the a running CB install so build a CB USB stick. From there we can see how bad it is. Use parted and mklabel gpt to whack the partition table. Try to add a single partition filling the entire drive, and putting an ext filesystem on it. Partprobe then attempt to mount the new partition. See if you can copy any files to it, etc.

Debug log instructions:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy
12-21-2012, 02:41 AM
(12-21-2012 02:28 AM)kraqh3d Wrote:  The controller may be hosed. We can try from the a running CB install so build a CB USB stick. From there we can see how bad it is. Use parted and mklabel gpt to whack the partition table. Try to add a single partition filling the entire drive, and putting an ext filesystem on it. Partprobe then attempt to mount the new partition. See if you can copy any files to it, etc.

I was able to get the GPT errors in gparted live. I just tried a CB installer USB and it hangs at "Attached scsi generic sy.....". After about 5min, it moves on and says /dev/sbd3 does not exist. What does CB auto-mount as sbd3? I will wipe the HD here in a bit and put ext on it. When you say USB sick, do you mean the USB.img or the installer.img drive?

More signs are pointing to needing a new AppleTV..

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-21-2012, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2012 03:10 AM by kraqh3d.)
No, not the installer. That is going to repartition the hard drive to install Linux. I mean USB.img. That's the version of CB that runs directly from the stick. Though come to think of it, it may not work either for the same reason. I think both assume you have a hard drive in the ATV so it expects the USB stick to be /dev/sdb. The error in your picture is coming from the embedded kernel inside mach_kernel. It's got hard coded boot options for /dev/sdb but the USB stick is detected as /dev/sda probably because the controller is fried.

If you can get the USB.img CB stick built on another ATV, we should be able to resuscitate this one, but it'll have to run exclusively off the USB stick. After the stick is built, you just need to make a few changes, so that all references to /dev/sdbX are changed to /dev/sdaX, allowing it to run without the internal hard drive.

Debug log instructions:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy
12-21-2012, 04:14 AM
(12-21-2012 03:06 AM)kraqh3d Wrote:  No, not the installer. That is going to repartition the hard drive to install Linux. I mean USB.img. That's the version of CB that runs directly from the stick. Though come to think of it, it may not work either for the same reason. I think both assume you have a hard drive in the ATV so it expects the USB stick to be /dev/sdb. The error in your picture is coming from the embedded kernel inside mach_kernel. It's got hard coded boot options for /dev/sdb but the USB stick is detected as /dev/sda probably because the controller is fried.

If you can get the USB.img CB stick built on another ATV, we should be able to resuscitate this one, but it'll have to run exclusively off the USB stick. After the stick is built, you just need to make a few changes, so that all references to /dev/sdbX are changed to /dev/sdaX, allowing it to run without the internal hard drive.

That makes sense why sdb isn't being recognized, since the HD isn't being detected. Luckily my in-laws have an ATV1 I can borrow. I'll probably still passively look for a cheap replacement. I didn't like the USB performance over the internal HD.

Thanks again for the help. I should have asked earlier that saved myself some sleep!