RaspbmcCrystalbuntu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using an XBox 360 controller with Raspbmc
12-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Using an XBox 360 controller with Raspbmc
Hi guys,

I have an old Xbox 360 which is never used. I read somewhere that the controller makes a very good remote for XBMC and since I am having problems with CEC - works sometimes and doesn't others - I was wondering if I should try it out.

Excuse the stupid question, but how does the controller connect/access the Raspbmc? Do I have to plug the recharging cable (USB) directly into the Pi? Or can it connect over wireless somehow?

I have searched around for instructions and everything seems to be talking about the button mappings, without any details on how to actually connect it up!

Cheers,
Ben
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
RE: Using an XBox 360 controller with Raspbmc
i'm setting this up at the moment. For xbocks controller you need the xboxdrv to recognize the controller for the rasp. How to enable it in xbmc im also not sure but when i find out i will provide my findings..
12-13-2012, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 12:56 PM by john2001.)
I'm also interested in getting a USB game pad, original Xbox controller or Logitech rumblepad working with the PI
the rumble pad is recognised but there is no response to keypresses and no clue in the XBMC log file.

I think the "enable joystick" option has been turned off when Raspbmc is compilied.

cat /proc/bus/input/devices
shows

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c20a Version=0110
N: Name="Logitech Inc. WingMan RumblePad"
P: Phys=usb-bcm2708_usb-1.2/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/input/input2
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=event2 js0
B: PROP=0
B: EV=20001b
B: KEY=1ff 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=30067
B: MSC=10
B: FF=1 7030000 0 0

They seem to have got it working over here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=135871
but don't really explain how
12-14-2012, 09:48 AM
(12-13-2012 12:38 PM)john2001 Wrote:  ...

They seem to have got it working over here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=135871
but don't really explain how

I have checked that and adjusted the xml 360 file according to the forum post and it was not working.
i have added the altname for my Controller as it shows up as "MicroXoft Xbox 360 Controller" and renamed the xml to the given name in the post.

But still no joy Big Grin in xbmc..
12-14-2012, 10:26 AM
I've been trying again today to get a USB joypad working with no success.

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=2934

Sam Nazarko Wrote: XBMC is built with standard build options, which I believe, has --disable-joystick flag. This can indeed be changed for you

Sam can you confirm if the option is now enabled, as if it isn't it would seem we are wasting our time.
12-16-2012, 10:20 PM
I am still in the dark as to how the controller actually connects to the RPi. Is it a direct/hard USB connection, or does the RPi sense/detect the wireless signal from the controller? Or is it all over WIFI/ethernet?

I was under the impression the XBox controllers had their own wireless network protocol - i.e. they don't use standard WIFI - or am I wrong?
12-16-2012, 11:24 PM
It's unlikely you'll be able to use a wireless controller. The wired one just uses USB so that's quite straightforward. The wireless one can be used on a PC using a special USB receiver dongle, so perhaps there are Linux drivers for that.

8GB Sandisk Class 10 SD & USB3 stick, 12v/4A PSU into 5v/3A UBEC, 512MB Pi and Belkin F5U700 powered from UBEC, Emprex 3009URF remote
12-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Doveman,

Have you managed to get a USB controller working with raspbmc ??
if so please explain how you did it.
12-17-2012, 09:51 AM
No sorry, I can't even get my MCE-type remote working yet!

8GB Sandisk Class 10 SD & USB3 stick, 12v/4A PSU into 5v/3A UBEC, 512MB Pi and Belkin F5U700 powered from UBEC, Emprex 3009URF remote
01-09-2013, 05:17 PM
(12-06-2012 10:25 PM)sumnerboy Wrote:  Hi guys,

I have an old Xbox 360 which is never used. I read somewhere that the controller makes a very good remote for XBMC and since I am having problems with CEC - works sometimes and doesn't others - I was wondering if I should try it out.

Excuse the stupid question, but how does the controller connect/access the Raspbmc? Do I have to plug the recharging cable (USB) directly into the Pi? Or can it connect over wireless somehow?

I have searched around for instructions and everything seems to be talking about the button mappings, without any details on how to actually connect it up!

Cheers,
Ben

The plug and charge cables don't actually carry data, so connecting them to the USB power doesn't connect the controller to your Pi.

You need something like this. Once you have one, install xboxdrv (apt-get install xboxdrv) and follow the slew of instructions for how to map the keys that you mentioned.