RaspbmcCrystalbuntu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Raspbmc with SMB shares - asking for password (I fixed it!)
11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Raspbmc with SMB shares - asking for password (I fixed it!)
I just registered here to ask for help, then my braincell kicked in and I fixed it, so I thought I'd say "hi" and post the (very basic) fix for anyone having the same problem.

Setup: Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc, and a Wyse Winterm 9150SE running FreeNas, sharing two HDD's over the network via SMB.

Problem: After adding the shares to the file list (and having to add them in the "music" and "video" windows as well, which seemed odd/annoying to me) I could list & play most files, but trying to look in subdirectories caused XBMC (/ RBMC?) to ask for the login/password again, and then refuse access. This was despite having a valid user account, login, and the folder being in the shares.

Solution: The Freenas / SMB client had been doing something *nixy with the file/folder permissions when they got written, either it inherited them from the host when it should've made them up itself or t'other way round, I forget... anyway, doing a recursive CHMOD* of the folder to allow all (authorised) users to read everything fixed the problem.

* = Before anyone says it, no I didn't use '777'.

So, I'm now a super-happy bunny with Raspbmc, the entire rest of the user experience from download to playing movies has been super slick and generally it's all just worked.
Only gripe / feedback is that, using a normal keyboard to control it, the behavior of the "left" arrow in menus is not that intuitive; it took me far too long to guess it for moving the focus to the "OK" button in the "add source" window (and why can't the TAB key do that?) and the rest of the time it opens the side-bar thingy when my brain seems to expect it to navigate back up the folder structure. I'm sure I'll get used to it though, and yes I know I can edit somethingorother.xml to fix it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2012, 06:28 PM
RE: Raspbmc with SMB shares - asking for password (I fixed it!)
Great Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Hi there, I am seeing the same issue here with accessing videos over SMB. Everything was fine until I upgraded, now when I try to add an SMB share it just keeps asking me for the username and password again.

I've tried re-entering the login details but this hasn't worked. Not sure if this is just more or others are having this problem.
02-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I am also having this issue. Three other XBMC machines on the network running Frodo can all access the shares fine, but on Raspbmc I get stuck in a login/password loop.

Can post logs and configs if need be.