RaspbmcCrystalbuntu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
list of video formats
09-19-2012, 01:18 PM
list of video formats
Hi all!

I'm new around here, so sorry if i ask something that someone allready asked. But i've been searching my asss off for just a simpel list of video formats that Raspbmc support.

Something like this. http://www.fileinfo.com/filetypes/video

My collection (8TB) consists of VIDEO_TS / ISO / VOB. NO HD, just the retails of 4,7GB. Can i stream this from my pc to the raspbmc to the tv? Or do i need to buy the MPEG-2 Codec pack?

Sorry for the bad English. I'm just a guy from the Netherlands! haha

Peter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2012, 01:39 PM
RE: list of video formats
You need the MPEG2 codec.
09-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Full DVD playback is not currently supported (from ISO/IFO) though work on adding support for it seems to be going well (see NEW Codec - ISO and IFO playback are not working with new codec). In the meantime you can play the individual .VOB files directly, but you will need to buy the MPEG-2 codec as rey mentioned.

If your DVD collection contains TV programmes then I would recommend using MakeMKV to convert the episodes into individual .MKV files and name those files according to the XBMC naming convention. This will allow them to show up under the "TV Shows" category, all neatly organised. Raspbmc will play back these MKV files just fine with the MPEG-2 codec installed (as MakeMKV does not re-encode the files).
09-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Is there also a manual who explains step by step how i plug in the MPEG-2 codec in the raspbmc?
09-19-2012, 02:49 PM
The instructions come to you by email (obviously the codes will be different):

Quote:Thank you for purchasing codec license keys from the Raspberry Pi Store.To enable codecs on your device(s), add the following lines to the config.txt file in the FAT partition of your SD card:

decode_MPG2=0x12345678
decode_WVC1=0x12345678

Regards
The Raspberry Pi Foundation

All you need to do is copy those decode_XXX=0xYYY lines into config.txt on the SD card (as the file is on the FAT partition you can plug the card into a Windows PC and edit the file from there, though make sure you use a text editor that preserves Unix-style line endings such as Programmers Notepad). No further configuration is needed (within Raspbmc or otherwise).
09-19-2012, 03:11 PM
(09-19-2012 01:53 PM)benryves Wrote:  Full DVD playback is not currently supported (from ISO/IFO) though work on adding support for it seems to be going well (see NEW Codec - ISO and IFO playback are not working with new codec). In the meantime you can play the individual .VOB files directly, but you will need to buy the MPEG-2 codec as rey mentioned.

If your DVD collection contains TV programmes then I would recommend using MakeMKV to convert the episodes into individual .MKV files and name those files according to the XBMC naming convention. This will allow them to show up under the "TV Shows" category, all neatly organised. Raspbmc will play back these MKV files just fine with the MPEG-2 codec installed (as MakeMKV does not re-encode the files).

Please be aware that MakeMKV does not preserve subtitles from your DVD's... May be handy for the guy from The Netherlands Wink
09-19-2012, 03:45 PM
(09-19-2012 03:11 PM)jeroenz Wrote:  Please be aware that MakeMKV does not preserve subtitles from your DVD's... May be handy for the guy from The Netherlands Wink

The version I'm using (1.7.7) supports subtitles (as well as additional audio channels and chapter marks) - see this screenshot.
09-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanx all!