RaspbmcCrystalbuntu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi Video Codec support
07-26-2012, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2012 02:57 PM by Odgeuk.)
Raspberry Pi Video Codec support
Hi All!

New to the forum here. I've had my Raspberry Pi for a couple of months now but have only really had the chance to play with it this week.

My first curiosity around the R-Pi is it's potential use as a Media Centre using Raspbmc. I wanted to see if I could finally bring the 'PC into the living room' so to speak. I have, over the years, amassed around 1TB+ of Movie Rips (all backed up from my personal collection of course Dodgy), YouTube Clips and full DVD-R Backups.

This leads to a large amount of data stored in various formats, mostly Avi, VOB, ISO images, IMG Images, FLV files, divX Avi, WMV, MP4, MKV and MPEG-2.

I was quick to discover that R-Pi won't decode MPEG-2 or VOB due to licencing restrictions. FLV doesn't seem to work either. WMV's and MKV's are a mixed affair, often no sound. I guess that is a result of different codecs used from the variety of sources that this data has come from.

So in short, am I restricted to just playing MP4 and MKV stuff with the R-Pi? Do I have options with regard to transcoding any of my existing stuff so that it will play?

With regard to MP4 and MKV audio and visual content, what information am I looking for to ensure that R-Pi can playback successfully? What is the difference between DTS and AC3 Audio and can R-Pi handle both?

Would using Openelec solve any of my playback issues?
Cheers Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2012, 07:08 PM
RE: Raspberry Pi Video Codec support
OE or Raspbmc, no difference to what will be played.

So far xbmc on OE played all my video files (mix of x/d vix & mkv with ac3/dts/aac & mp4).
I mean it played even the ones that my NMT player choked on (so I am happy!)

As to mpeg2? Personally I do not miss the fact that it is not decoded (I have none, and if I must I will just convert them)
flv can be converted to mp4 by avidemux (it is only container change)

sebus
07-26-2012, 07:54 PM
on the other hand, non-mp2 is a deal-breaker for me. I bought my Pi to play my 200 dvd mkv's in the living room.. but it won't play them. So I have a Pi that is a bit useless to me.. (wish they'd told me that before I bought it)
07-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I am currently undergoing the process of converting my bluray rips to .h264 with an addition AAC audio track (the Rpi doesn't handle DTS 5.1 either). It's a massive operations, since there is about 1.5TB to convert. I will possibly write a script for it that just plows through my NAS.

After the conversion, I am happy to inform you that 1080p plays perfect, as long as you keep the audio to the AAC channel (unless you have a DTS decoder/pass-through thingie)!

I'm still hoping for the MPEG2 to be licensed anytime soon, as I was hoping to hook my DVB-C tuner to it and use it to record live TV. Which right now will not work, as the streams will be mostly in MPEG2 (for now). That's a kind of a disappointment to me Sad
07-26-2012, 09:14 PM
(07-26-2012 07:54 PM)iggy23 Wrote:  on the other hand, non-mp2 is a deal-breaker for me. I bought my Pi to play my 200 dvd mkv's in the living room.. but it won't play them. So I have a Pi that is a bit useless to me.. (wish they'd told me that before I bought it)
who's they? Raspberry Pi foundation?
You bought a device designed to run and help teach kids linux/python.
It does that task fine so I don't see why "they" need to inform you of its inability to play MPEG2 before you buy (even though they have mentioned this many times before on their website).
07-26-2012, 09:44 PM
(07-26-2012 09:14 PM)nadnerb Wrote:  
(07-26-2012 07:54 PM)iggy23 Wrote:  on the other hand, non-mp2 is a deal-breaker for me. I bought my Pi to play my 200 dvd mkv's in the living room.. but it won't play them. So I have a Pi that is a bit useless to me.. (wish they'd told me that before I bought it)
who's they? Raspberry Pi foundation?
You bought a device designed to run and help teach kids linux/python.
It does that task fine so I don't see why "they" need to inform you of its inability to play MPEG2 before you buy (even though they have mentioned this many times before on their website).

indeed

The data was there, it is not a out of the box mediacenter solution. Im sure Sam and the other guys(any girls? Tongue) are gonna bring some nice stuff but they cannot go beyond the boundries of the pi. That comment was disrepectful towards the entire open source community imo.
07-26-2012, 10:05 PM
I thought mpeg was licensed by XBMC, via Pivos.
07-26-2012, 10:16 PM
(07-26-2012 08:39 PM)pluggen Wrote:  (the Rpi doesn't handle DTS 5.1 either)

Strange statement, it plays perfectly here, from HDMI ofcourse

sebus
07-26-2012, 10:28 PM
(07-26-2012 10:05 PM)Tired_ Wrote:  I thought mpeg was licensed by XBMC, via Pivos.

I dont see how something xbmc has done can matter for the broadcom firmware put on raspberry pi which is likely not to run xbmc at all? i dont follow what you are saying
07-26-2012, 10:32 PM
(07-26-2012 07:54 PM)iggy23 Wrote:  on the other hand, non-mp2 is a deal-breaker for me. I bought my Pi to play my 200 dvd mkv's in the living room.. but it won't play them.

And what codec would be used? mp2 in mkv ?

sebus