RaspbmcCrystalbuntu

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SOLVED]How do you remove Raspbmc Settings and Arora Browser from Program shortcuts?
12-16-2013, 01:23 AM
RE: [SOLVED]How do you remove Raspbmc Settings and Arora Browser from Program shortcuts?
(12-16-2013 01:12 AM)Karnage Wrote:  Apology accepted.

The addon only breaks things in some circumstances (which havent been diagnosed yet). Also, the browser addon isnt in the XBMC repo, and so would not be available for most people. For simple users to see it and use it, it needs to be put front-and-centre.

Karnage, I humbly bow before you I was in a really testy mood the other night. I am honestly humbled that you have forgiven (really I mean that!)

I can be really grumpy when things do not work for me Sad

I have now run up 3 pi's with raspbmc and they are all ticked to update raspbmc when and is needed....

So for me that is 100% on 3 pi's with arora add-on now appearing in program menu?

I really do not have the time at the mo to provide logs etc. I do not know why your add-on has broken things. I suspect in the future it will not break anything and will in fact be a major enhancement.

BUT at this time it is breaking things.... in the raspbmc distro?

I would just like some clarification that if it is breaking things why was it distributed as part of the latest raspbmc update without the testing needed?

Now before you get me wrong, I think it is brilliant that there now seems to be a web browser add-on for raspbmc but it really seems to have complicated things that did not need to be complicated for the end-user? i.e. it keeps breaking and there is no way to simply disable it?

Really appreciate you coming back to a grumpy person Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2013, 01:43 AM
RE: [SOLVED]How do you remove Raspbmc Settings and Arora Browser from Program shortcuts?
[joke]That's called R+D (Release and Develop) [/joke]

Seriously it's tested by a handfull of users that usually have stable equipment (power supplies etc.) and if it all goes well it's released on the masses where there is a huge variance on setups. For the 50,000 or so installs that are out there there are actually very few problems and ultimately many of them end up being a problem on the users end or hardware. As far as the browser goes, if it's a problem then don't click on it, problem solved. We do try to release stable and worthwhile updates and don't enjoy people complaining about how we screwed up their movie night but it does happen. I can guarantee you that a calm detailed problem report will be accepted much more readily than an attack by someone that feels that they are entitled to a perfectly running system without putting in any effort and we screwed up their movie night on purpose.

Pi problems?? Start here http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=3918
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting
http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
12-16-2013, 02:01 AM
[joke]That's called R+D (Release and Develop) [/joke]
Quote: I can guarantee you that a calm detailed problem report will be accepted much more readily than an attack by someone that feels that they are entitled to a perfectly running system without putting in any effort and we screwed up their movie night on purpose.
Regardless of whether the browser works or not or for that matter the Raspbmc settings app works, it's not good form to hijack a setting and require a command line intervention when there is a dialog for said setting. Should be changed to the default but let users modify via the gui.

God speed on resolving the browser isue. Doesn't work on my rpi either.
12-16-2013, 02:39 AM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 03:11 AM by steeb.)
(12-16-2013 01:43 AM)Dilligaf Wrote:  [joke]That's called R+D (Release and Develop) [/joke]

Seriously it's tested by a handfull of users that usually have stable equipment (power supplies etc.) and if it all goes well it's released on the masses where there is a huge variance on setups. For the 50,000 or so installs that are out there there are actually very few problems and ultimately many of them end up being a problem on the users end or hardware. As far as the browser goes, if it's a problem then don't click on it, problem solved. We do try to release stable and worthwhile updates and don't enjoy people complaining about how we screwed up their movie night but it does happen. I can guarantee you that a calm detailed problem report will be accepted much more readily than an attack by someone that feels that they are entitled to a perfectly running system without putting in any effort and we screwed up their movie night on purpose.

Oh dear.....

I feel a need to lock horns with you...

Grump Heart

Quote:Seriously it's tested by a handfull of users that usually have stable equipment (power supplies etc.) and if it all goes well it's released on the masses where there is a huge variance on setups.

Oh really we have locked swords before... Well in the first place do you not think a handfull of users may not be the best recognition for your test platform? Do not get me started on PSU's? Where are you coming from? I have very stable equipment thank you. 3 pi's running on raspbmc as I already stated. All stable. Get you?

(12-16-2013 01:43 AM)Dilligaf Wrote:  [joke]That's called R+D (Release and Develop) [/joke]

Oh dear.....

I feel a need to lock horns with you...

Grump Heart

Quote:Seriously it's tested by a handfull of users that usually have stable equipment (power supplies etc.) and if it all goes well it's released on the masses where there is a huge variance on setups.

Oh really we have locked swords before... Well in the first place do you not think a handfull of users may not be the best recognition for your test platform? Do not get me started on PSU's? Where are you coming from? I have very stable equipment thank you. 3 pi's running on raspbmc as I already stated. All stable. Get you?

Quote:I can guarantee you that a calm detailed problem report will be accepted much more readily than an attack by someone that feels that they are entitled to a perfectly running system without putting in any effort and we screwed up their movie night on purpose.

Don't believe I did that just asked questions?

Quote:As far as the browser goes, if it's a problem then don't click on it, problem solved.

Really so if it is there you think peeps won't click on it? Come on

I'll try to put it another more gentle way perhaps?

Since the latest release via the raspbmc auto updater we now have an automatic (default) install of arora web browser. I have tried it on 3 x pi's all running raspbmc where it appears in the program shortcuts. All 3 times on 3 different pi's it has not installed and has crashed my pi. I am not in a position currently to find out out why this add-on is crashing my pi's but I think I am sure it is nothing to do with their power supply units....???

I have a lot of faith that the community will resolve these issues but as I am not in a place to help with this I would like to remove this arora as a proram add-on option......
12-16-2013, 03:14 AM
I should probably learn to keep quiet but I'm old and grumpy sometimes. What would you suggest other than a subgroup of users to test things?? My comments regarding stability come from testing many things with hundreds of installs and 4 PI and not having any problems only to release it and see huge problems in the field, I keep saying I need to build an unstable system to test on. My comments definitely were NOT aimed at you alone, we've all seen the posters that want to put out no effort and have their problems magically fixed

12-16-2013, 03:18 AM
(12-16-2013 03:14 AM)Dilligaf Wrote:  I should probably learn to keep quiet but I'm old and grumpy sometimes. What would you suggest other than a subgroup of users to test things?? My comments regarding stability come from testing many things with hundreds of installs and 4 PI and not having any problems only to release it and see huge problems in the field, I keep saying I need to build an unstable system to test on. My comments definitely were NOT aimed at you alone, we've all seen the posters that want to put out no effort and have their problems magically fixed

Brilliant. Now I feel like I am locking swords with you but want you to win the fight! Don't keep quiet keep up the fight. Back to you in about 5 mins?
12-16-2013, 03:24 AM
Is there a [Troll] tag that we can add to thread subjects? o.O

How to SSH into your pi
Info Required For Support
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-16-2013, 03:29 AM
Really, I don't do the "flame war' thing and don't need to get in the last word, I may walk away at any time. Honestly you seem to cringe at our testing system, what would you suggest to improve it?? I really would like to know how to improve it. As for the other comments, they are what they are and you can take them any way you like.

OK, I just looked at your old posts and I guess you were put off by my comments before even though it was a perfect answer to your question Smile

12-16-2013, 03:31 AM
(12-16-2013 03:18 AM)steeb Wrote:  
(12-16-2013 03:14 AM)Dilligaf Wrote:  I should probably learn to keep quiet but I'm old and grumpy sometimes. What would you suggest other than a subgroup of users to test things?? My comments regarding stability come from testing many things with hundreds of installs and 4 PI and not having any problems only to release it and see huge problems in the field, I keep saying I need to build an unstable system to test on. My comments definitely were NOT aimed at you alone, we've all seen the posters that want to put out no effort and have their problems magically fixed

Brilliant. Now I feel like I am locking swords with you but want you to win the fight! Don't keep quiet keep up the fight. Back to you in about 5 mins?

You are old and grumpy? I think not! As you have found out I am really grumpy! If you can have some faith in me (and I do not know your background with Sam) I do not know why you have released this to the community as untested... hmmmm
12-16-2013, 03:41 AM
It was tested on all systems we had available. Which was a few stable rigs. It worked fine. It is working fine on most places it is installed.

Anytime anyone wants to test, they can do so, no questions asked.

Are you volunteering?

PSU: tested & confirmed consistent @ 5.05V+
NFS install
Each distribution varies in total power consumption. If you require more amps than you have available, you will see a voltage drop; the extent of which depends on those demands and the quality of the power supply.