RaspbmcCrystalbuntu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Raspbmc: audio freaky poppin good :-(
12-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Sad Raspbmc: audio freaky poppin good :-(
Hallo everybody,

this will be my first post in this forum and I hope I get help. My skills in Linux are not very well, but before I post some questions I first try to solve the problem by myself. But I give up now.

Yesterday I did my last try, to get this popping noise away when I run Raspbmc as just an audio interface. My goal is, to run RasPi mainly as a headless RasPi with no need to have the 300 Watt consuming TV switched on just to see which track is playing.
I want to control Audio via the Web Interface of Raspbmc or an App.

But: Forums are full with posts about popping sound each start/stop/ffwd of tracks.
Some say, they use pulseaudio with a usb sound device.
I don't want to use another power consuming device, when RasPi comes with a device at all.

I know, the first days, RasPi had problems with the analog output but with the current Wheezy Image I thing these days are gone. So why is it a problem in Raspbmc.

Yesterday, I tried to activate pulseaudio and module snd-bcm2835 as posted here but it says "Module not found". I did a apt-get update, apt-get install alsa-utils but no way to get this module. Where is the module?
I also tried to activate my ZOOM H2 audio recorder as a sound device vie SSH (PuTTY from a windows pc) and run in a access problem.
----------------------
pi@raspbmc:~$ sudo bash
root@raspbmc:/home/pi# pactl list cards
PuTTY X11 proxy: wrong authorisation protocol attemptedxcb_connection_has_error() returned true
Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
root@raspbmc:/home/pi#

---------------------

In the terminal window I had to enter 'ssh pi@raspbmx "pactl list cards"' instead of directly enter pactl list cards.
At the end, pulseaudio knows about the card and has this multi-sink profile set but no sound comes out as well.
The RaspBMC user interface says, that it does not find any sound device but pactl list the ZOOM H2. So I get totally stuckHuh.

Remember, I'm a newbie in Linux / Raspbmc and pulseaudio but I'm a .NET programmer and Oracle certified associate as well, so I know how to enter commands in a terminal Big Grin

So is it still usefull to try get RaspBMC analog audio output running or not?

And I guess: It is good to donate to this project and to Sam Nazarko but I also think, this project is to big for one person alone. A day has 24 hours and a students day has 24 hours as well with sleeping, eating, drinking, posting in forums, programming, testing, girl friend, go to a party
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2012, 01:28 PM
RE: Raspbmc: audio freaky poppin good :-(
(12-23-2012 12:04 PM)DisasterArea Wrote:  Hallo everybody,

this will be my first post in this forum and I hope I get help. My skills in Linux are not very well, but before I post some questions I first try to solve the problem by myself. But I give up now.

Yesterday I did my last try, to get this popping noise away when I run Raspbmc as just an audio interface. My goal is, to run RasPi mainly as a headless RasPi with no need to have the 300 Watt consuming TV switched on just to see which track is playing.
I want to control Audio via the Web Interface of Raspbmc or an App.

But: Forums are full with posts about popping sound each start/stop/ffwd of tracks.
Some say, they use pulseaudio with a usb sound device.
I don't want to use another power consuming device, when RasPi comes with a device at all.

I know, the first days, RasPi had problems with the analog output but with the current Wheezy Image I thing these days are gone. So why is it a problem in Raspbmc.

Yesterday, I tried to activate pulseaudio and module snd-bcm2835 as posted here but it says "Module not found". I did a apt-get update, apt-get install alsa-utils but no way to get this module. Where is the module?
I also tried to activate my ZOOM H2 audio recorder as a sound device vie SSH (PuTTY from a windows pc) and run in a access problem.
----------------------
pi@raspbmc:~$ sudo bash
root@raspbmc:/home/pi# pactl list cards
PuTTY X11 proxy: wrong authorisation protocol attemptedxcb_connection_has_error() returned true
Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
root@raspbmc:/home/pi#

---------------------

In the terminal window I had to enter 'ssh pi@raspbmx "pactl list cards"' instead of directly enter pactl list cards.
At the end, pulseaudio knows about the card and has this multi-sink profile set but no sound comes out as well.
The RaspBMC user interface says, that it does not find any sound device but pactl list the ZOOM H2. So I get totally stuckHuh.

Remember, I'm a newbie in Linux / Raspbmc and pulseaudio but I'm a .NET programmer and Oracle certified associate as well, so I know how to enter commands in a terminal Big Grin

So is it still usefull to try get RaspBMC analog audio output running or not?

And I guess: It is good to donate to this project and to Sam Nazarko but I also think, this project is to big for one person alone. A day has 24 hours and a students day has 24 hours as well with sleeping, eating, drinking, posting in forums, programming, testing, girl friend, go to a party

The ALSA module was temporarily deprecated due to faults. But this will be re-added shortly.

I saw your Putty session above, followed by an X11 failure. This is because Raspbmc does not utilise an X server.

Lastly, your analogue popping is likely XBMC. This was originally thought to be a firmware issue, but playing audio via the DAC directly did not yield this issue for most.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Hallo,

thanks for your reply.

The X11 error I do not understand because I was just using PuTTY in order to have a terminal. Is a terminal already an X window? What is another way to have a terminal in RaspBMC? But back to the main problem:

A) Why, when I was able to add my ZOOM H2 audio interface to pulseaudio the RaspBMC user interface still says it does not find an interface. When does RaspBMC evaluate the audio interface list and how can I restart this evaluating. Problem with the ZOOM interface is, that itself first needs to be configured after plugging in, to function as a audio interface.

B) snd-bcm2835: when do one get notified, when this sound module is available again? How long will this take, who should I ask for that?

And of course: Merry Chrismas to you
01-06-2013, 12:18 PM
It seems the analogue audio popping is a PI hardware issue and therefore unlikely to be fixed without delicate soldering..... as copied from http://elinux.org/RPi_Bugs below:

The sound output port on boards version 1.0 and 2.0 are miss-wired causing distortion and a DC offset which could damage certain types of DC-coupled amplifiers and even loudspeakers. It is recommended that you use the HDMI or I2S functionality. If you need to use this port, make sure that the equipment you use has a DC blocking capacitor. The specific problem is that the surge suppression network, which should come between the SoC and the DC blocking capacitor comes AFTER the capacitor, creating a rectification effect of the signal, causing a DC offset and distortion. The design fix is simple, move the DC blocking capacitor after the surge suppressing diodes and then add a 100k resistor (470k, or even up to 1M is fine too) to ground. A series 100 ohm resistor just before the jack might also help suppress unwanted RF interference. If high quality output is required from existing boards, it is necessary to remove parts D12 and D13 from the back of the board. The three pads should be VCC, signal and GND respectively, identify each pad and carefully install some resistor between 10k and 100k between the signal and GND, making sure not to short out VCC. This is fairly high-end SMD re-work, I would suggest you get some training, tools and practice before attempting. (ed note: the writer of this comment does not have said skills, only knows what would have to be done).